Summer is finally here and it’s the perfect time to not only spring clean our homes, but it’s also a good time to cleanse our bodies of harmful chemicals and other toxins that can accumulate over time.
So, if you’re feeling a bit blah or if you’ve been diagnosed with a medical condition, then this article is perfect for you. Conversely, if you’re feeling great, your first thought might be “I don’t have any toxins in my body.” Well, here’s a little reality check—you do! We all do— It’s just that some of us have accumulated more toxins than others. So, regardless of where you are on the toxic spectrum, you need to understand these two important things— How you’re exposed to toxins and how to rid them from your body for optimum health.
Where Do Toxins Come From?
Toxins enter the body through the following methods:
(2) When you use conventional personal care products vs products that are truly natural and/or organic. Conventional products tend to have many harsh chemicals and/or synthetic ingredients and perfumes. Consequently, when you use them, they enter the bloodstream via your skin. This also includes toothpaste and mouthwash.
(3) When you breathe in the obvious toxic fumes from cars, airplanes, cleaning supplies, and cigarette smoke—And, when you breathe in the hidden toxic fumes from indoor air pollution from gas emissions via your carpet, radon in the basement, black mold, mattresses, rugs, vinyl flooring, paint, granite countertops, and many other furnishings and building materials.
Understandably, this information is shocking if you’re reading it for the first time. And you might be asking, how can corporations get away with making products that are harmful to both, the environment and me? Many years ago, I asked that same question, but decided to focus more on how I could mitigate the risks for my family and protect our health.
How Do I Rid My Home Of Toxins?
First, I made a conscious effort to buy green sustainable products for my home. I even created my own line of natural and organic consumer products because what I put on my body (especially my children’s bodies) was extremely important to me. Therefore, it became my personal mission to create sustainable beauty care that was safe for humans and the earth.
Next, I started to buy the most sustainably made products for my home that I could afford. It didn’t have to be the best—just the best that I could afford. The goal is to eliminate as many toxins that you can on a daily basis-even down to your cleaning supplies.
Lastly, I did research on how our diets play a role in health and wellness. Everything I read suggested that a plant based diet was critical for sustaining health because the nutrients found in fruits and vegetables are instrumental in helping cells function properly. When cells function properly, they metabolize food more efficiently and are therefore, better able to extract key nutrients and antioxidants that not only kill free radicals, but also eliminate toxins. And since we can’t live in a bubble, detoxing our bodies at least a couple times of year, can give us the reset we need to help alleviate health conditions—whether they’ve just showed up out of nowhere or are chronic illnesses.
How Do I Rid My Body of Toxins?
One of the best ways to eliminate toxins from your body is to do a detoxification. Just like your car, your body needs to eliminate all of the sluggish slime that has accumulated throughout the year(s), and get replenished with fuel that will promote energy, vitality, and health. Dr. Don Colbert, a medical doctor with preventative medicine training, says that one of the best ways to detoxify your body is with a detox diet, which I’ve outlined below.
Avoid these foods:
- Sugars- including honey
- Wheat products (pasta, breads, bagels, and processed cereals), chips and corn
- All processed foods- refined foods, fast foods, fried foods, animal skins, preserved meats, and fatty meats
Alcohol, coffee, sodas, dark teas, and chocolate
Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils or trans fats
You can consume a small amount of these foods:
- Skinless, extra lean free-range poultry and meats
- If you must have dairy-eat plain yogurt, cheese made with skim milk, and/or organic butter sparingly. You can also drink skim milk and kefir sparingly.
You can consume as much of these foods as you like:
- Organic vegetables and fruits
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Brown rice and wild rice
- Raw, fresh nuts and seeds (avoid peanuts and cashews)
- Flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, black currant seed oil, borage oil, and fish oil
Garlic and onions
Filtered water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime (about two quarts daily)
- Freshly juiced vegetable and fruit juices (you will need a juicer)
- Green tea and other herbal teas
- Green super foods or just take chlorella.
How Long Should I Detox My Body?
You should follow this diet for 14 days to adequately prepare your liver to do its job of detoxifying your body. Moreover, you will be slowly detoxifying during these 14 days so that your liver can handle the toxins and eliminate them efficiently when you do your juice fast on day 15. If you do not do this, you will run the risk of recirculating the toxins back into your blood stream because your liver will not be able to handle the excessive amount of toxins being eliminated. When toxins recirculate back into your blood stream, they can cause more damage to your cells, which promotes more sickness.
On the 15th day, do a juice fast of freshly juiced fruit and vegetables juices with chlorella or a green super food and drink plenty of water. If you thoroughly follow the diet for the first 14 days, your liver will be ready to handle the amount of toxins that will be eliminated on day 15 when you do the juice fast.
How Do I Resume Eating After the Detox?
After day 15, you should slowly resume the previous diet starting with fruits and vegetables and gradually work your way up to the dairy and meats. This step allows your body to gradually prepare to eat your regular diet again. Although this diet requires four weeks of discipline and determination; the payoff is well worth the sacrifice.
What Should I Expect When My Detox is Over?
You will be amazed at the following results:
- Your brain will be completely clear (you probably don’t even know that you have brain fog);
- Your skin will be radiant;
- You will feel very happy (this diet eliminates depression);
- You will have more energy than you ever imagined possible;
- You will reverse many medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, some chronic aches and pains, migraine headaches, psoriasis and eczema, autoimmune diseases, and heart disease;
- You will lose enough weight to reduce your dress or pants size; and
- You will have an increased libido.
This detoxification diet is a safe diet; however, please note that you should not stop taking your prescribed medications. Therefore, you will have to monitor your blood pressure and blood sugar regularly. If you see that your blood pressure or blood sugar levels are dropping, consult with your doctor regarding reducing your medication dosage while on the diet. Lastly, if you have psoriasis or eczema you should eat vegetables that are right for your nutritional blood type to get the maximum results.
So here’s to good health! If you do decide to do this detox diet (which I’ve done for the past 9 years off and on), please share your experience with me. Remember, you can always grab a friend to partner up with for accountability—statistics show that we’re usually more successful in our endeavors when we have accountability.